Sunday, January 20, 2008, Blabbered by pyroboy1911 at 12:57 pm
This post may be offensive to some of you, so I apologized first if anyone is offended (which I doubt).

Anyway, just now I went for my lunch. I ordered my meal, and sat down. Sitting in front of me is a group of children accompanied by an adult.




















While waiting for my meal, I observed them. I can't help it, as they were talking and laughing loudly. Everything is like a normal eat out, until when the foods were served. the kids took out their money and paid for their own food. Now that's something that did not happen everyday.

What shocked me more is when the drinks were served. They started to pay individually too, and the troubled indian tauke asked the man whether he can pay for all of them at once, coz it would be troublesome to find change for each and everyone of them.

It really shocked me when the man replied "Tak boleh" (No).

Then one of the kids replied "Kami bukan anak dia." (We're not his children).

Please inform me if this is the culture of West Malaysians, but as far as I know, adults usually pay for the meals when eating. I mean how can an adult just let those kids pay for their own food, while just sitting there and pay for his own stuff?

As a chinese, I am pretty sure he will argue like nobody's business to pay for the meal if he were to dine out with relatives. People will keep on handing their big RM100 notes to the waiter/waitress while trying to push the hands of their relatives, leaving the waiter/waitress confused as which money to accept. If I am the waiter, I'll just grab all the money, and keep the change. Fair and square, no need to fight over who's paying.

But never in my life I see an adult, not only he did not bother to pay for children's meal, but also refused to do so when someone asked him will he pay for them or not.

What, when visitors come to his house, are they required to bring their own refreshments and food?
 
12 Comment(s):

At 8:23 pm, Blogger LX

It's so true about the relatives berebut-rebut wanna pay for the food bill. I always face that.. grandma wanna pay, mum wanna pay.. that kinda thing. Hahaha.. sometimes, one of them quietly walk to the counter to pay first.

 

At 9:18 pm, Blogger pyroboy1911

i wonder if there's a case of a real fight erupted just because wanted to pay the bill :P

 

At 10:45 am, Blogger LingDi

Haha.. Well, I guess this is my first time hearing this kind of news. Btw, the adults there seems to be quite irresponsible. Whenever I am out with my friends' parents, they will always pay for me although I insisted not to.

 

At 3:24 pm, Blogger pyroboy1911

well, it is not obligatory for an adult to pay for others, they are not bounded by the law to do so. but if I have the mentality of "i do my own, you do your own" even to children, I would feel ashame of myself.

 

At 10:02 pm, Blogger jazz

This is also my first time hearing this kind of news. Well, cannot blame the adult for paying his own. I mean, if you are adult, you would probably do that. Well, if the tauke wants to do business, he has to deal with it, can't just say oh, can you pay for them first.

 

At 1:15 am, Blogger pyroboy1911

like i said, an adult is not obliged to pay for children. But if I'm the adult in this case, i would definitely pay for them coz i'm the one earning money while they're still young. i have to set good example :D

 

At 2:28 am, Blogger Furkids in Hong Kong™

Hi pyroboy1911, hopped over to your blog from lynnx01's :D

I cannot speak for that adult, as I do not know them, but the practice of allowing children to pay for themselves (not only meals) is more and more common among families. My relatives included.

I have 2 aunts. Both with children. 1 aunt pays for their children. The other gives them a weekly allowance that is for their meals, snacks, transportation and a tiny bit more should they want to save up for something.
Their children were all around 8 at the time, and now they are in their teens.
Result? The ones that were taught to manage their money have learnt responsibility, the value of money, a little independence, and money management. The ones that were not, still ask their parents to buy them whatever they want, and expect that they 'must'. When they are denied, they pout. They also do not have any of the aforementioned properties, which can be detrimental to them in their latter years.

This practice is similar (though not identical) to primary students in Japan having to do janitor duties (and others), and not expecting the adult to do it because, he/she's an adult.

Personally, I think this is a great way of bringing up children - though as I've mentioned, I cannot say if that man had the same intentions.

Sorry for the long post!

Pete

 

At 11:01 am, Blogger pyroboy1911

hi furkids, thanks for dropping by!

i understand what you are trying to say, but i'm afraid we come from a different perspective. your comment would answer the question "should children pay for their own food?", and even i will agree with you with the responsibility and independent reason.

but what i'm actually asking is "should an adult refuse to pay for children because he isn't obliged to do so?" i am not surprised when the kids pay for their own food. what surprises me is the tone the man used when replying to the tauke of the shop. when the man said "No", he sounded as if someone asked him to pay for a beggar, and it sounded like "why should I? who are they to me?" and that are-you-crazy look to the tauke.

sorry if i din put this details in my post, i forget sometimes :p

long comment is given a long reply :P

 

At 11:03 am, Blogger pyroboy1911

and btw, sorry if i'm using the word adult too many times. i am actually only referring to 1 person, which is the guy in the pic. sorry for the generalization.

 

At 10:44 pm, Blogger jazz

Wow, that is a good response for both pyroboy and furkids in hong kong.

 

At 6:03 am, Blogger Sherp

hmmmmm. my late opinion.
i think it's okay for the kids to pay for themselves to learn independence, as mentioned by furkids in hk, but i also hav to agree tat the man didnt have to be so rude.

but im trying not to be judgemental as im only reading and wasnt there in person

 

At 12:31 pm, Blogger pyroboy1911

well, this is what i actually feel when seeing the situation. when the kids are paying for their food, i was thinking why the man is weird, din try to pay the food himself. so i tot maybe the kids insist on paying themselves in the first place. but after the reply to the tauke of the drinks, i was like "what the H"

and mind u, i'm talking from adult's point of view, not a small kid who expect to be paid everytime, after all i'm over the age to be a kid already :P

 


Post a Comment
ss_blog_claim=0bde7c2d70240c216e4c23732772f98d